e-Sword: Great Free Bible Study Software
e-Sword is my favourite Bible study software, but it’s hard to get people to use it if they don’t know how. So I decided to write a short series of tutorials on some of its highlights. It is free, so everyone who is reading this should be able to use it so long as you are able to download it from the internet.
Here is a screenshot of what it looks like on my computer:
Today I just want to start by explaining why you should download it, and how!
Why Use e-Sword?
“I have a Bible don’t I? What else do I need?” I sometimes imagine people saying that in their heads when I tell them about this Bible software. And it is true that we don’t really need anything else besides the Bible. But it can help with an awful lot of things. Here are some reasons why I think it’s so helpful (and no I’m not benefiting in any way from promoting it!):
- You can find verses. Often you know a Bible verse exists but you can’t remember where it is. My husband sometimes asks me where a verse is and if I have my computer on I often look on e-Sword.
- You can find what the Bible says about different topics. Sometimes I’m interested in one particular topic, and although my Thompson Chain Bible is more thorough, I can use Torrey’s topics on e-Sword for a quick look.
- You can find parallel passages. Comparing scripture with scripture is one of the best ways to study the Bible, but it is hard to do if you don’t know where the other scriptures are! Treasury of Scripture Knowledge is one of the free resources on e-Sword that is invaluable for doing this.
- You can get an idea of what commentators say. Often if I’m about to put something on Twitter about a particular verse I will look it up on e-Sword first just to make sure I’m not barking up the wrong tree!
- You can copy and paste Bible verses. Often when I’m blogging or writing e-mails I use Bible verses, and with e-Sword I can just copy and paste the ones I want to use. Admittedly I did pay extra for the NKJV version on there, but there are many free versions on there as well.
- It is fast. You may have a concordance, but if you look up the wrong word in it then you have to turn the pages to find another word. With e-Sword it is a few clicks of the mouse.
- Everything is in one place. A lot of these helps you can find in other places, like topical treasuries, dictionaries, concordances, commentaries. But they are all together here so you can quickly switch from one thing to another.